MEETING OF AMAKHOSI OF THE KINGDOM OF KWAZULU NATAL AND IFP MUNICIPAL COUNCILLORS
ULUNDI : APRIL 20, 2001
At a joint meeting of the amaKhosi of the Kingdom of KwaZulu Natal and IFP councillors from Municipalities of the Province held at Ulundi on the 20th April 2001, Councillors learnt with great concern and dismay that:
- the President has up to now failed to react positively to the well articulated concerns of amaKhosi regarding their role, powers and functions in local government;
- the solemn promise made by the President on the 16th of May 2000 concerning the need for constitutional amendments to address the concerns of amaKhosi has not yet been honoured;
- the President has up to now ignored the resolution taken at the meeting of IFP Councillors on January 20, 2001.
We, IFP Councillors, therefore resolve that:
- We reaffirm our original position that unless the matter of the status of amaKhosi in Municipal structures is adequately and urgently resolved, it will be impossible to carry out our functions as Councillors operating in traditional areas; and
- unless this matter is satisfactorily resolved within 30 days from April 20, 2001 all municipalities in KwaZulu Natal located within the areas of amaKhosi will have no alternative but to stop all activities.