The IFP NEC, at its ordinary weekly meeting yesterday, Monday 17 October 2022, having been briefed on the arrest of the Mayor of Msinga Municipality, Cllr Mletheni Ndlovu, as well as Cllr Thokozani Sokhela and Cllr Mhawukeleni Sokhela, resolved as follows:
- Cllr Mletheni Ndlovu, Cllr Thokozani Sokhela and Cllr Mhawukeleni Sokhela are directed to take a leave of absence from all municipal activities and responsibilities with immediate effect, and are hereby placed on suspension from all Party activities.
- The Deputy Mayor of Msinga, Cllr Thenjiwe Busisiwe Mbatha, will act as Mayor.
- The Speaker of Council is to ensure that affected Wards, namely Wards 4, 13 and 14, continue to receive services and access to Councillors during the period of the leave of absence of the affected Councillors.
- The Political Oversight Committee (POC) is to communicate these decisions and brief the NEC on the material circumstances of these arrests, noting that at this point they have not been linked to the tragic assassination of Cllr Magubane.
- The POC will report back to the NEC at its next meeting.
As previously indicated, the IFP relies on the SAPS-led investigation on this matter. The IFP will accordingly take decisions on the basis of the due processes of the investigation, as per the recommendations of the National Council Task Team that was dispatched to investigate this matter.
Mkhuleko Hlengwa MP
IFP National Spokesperson
071 111 0539