In the past week, audio clips of two separate unrelated incidents surfaced wherein the Mayor of AbaQulusi and a Councillor of Alfred Duma Municipality are allegedly implicated in questionable statements.
More specifically, the Alfred Duma Councillor is implicated in a sex-for-jobs scandal.
The NEC has today considered these latest developments and resolved as follows:
- The Mayor of AbaQulusi is suspended from the Party with immediate effect and is directed to take leave from municipal duties with immediate effect.
- The Deputy Mayor of AbaQulusi is to act as Mayor with immediate effect.
- The Alfred Duma Municipality Councillor implicated in the audio clip is suspended with immediate effect from the Party and is directed to take leave as a Councillor with immediate effect.
- The Speaker of Alfred Duma Municipality is directed to ensure that service delivery is not adversely impacted in the affected Ward.
- The affected Councillors will appear before the NEC at a special meeting scheduled to sit no later than 05 March 2023.
The IFP reaffirms the rights of women in the workplace to perform their jobs free from harassment and intimidation.
The IFP considers these matters to be of a very serious nature, and as such, they are receiving the priority attention of the Party through investigation.
Mkhuleko Hlengwa MP
IFP National Spokesperson
071 111 0539