I hereby move without notice, that the House;
1. Notes, that the SA National Editors’ Forum (Sanef) has requested the IEC to include the fair treatment of the media, as part of the pledges political parties will sign during the election period;
2. Further notes, that Sanef has requested political parties to adhere to the electoral code of conduct, before the election date is promulgated, as campaigning is already under way and journalists were experiencing problems in some areas;
3. Acknowledges that it is unacceptable for any political party to intimidate journalists or to hinder them from executing their duties in any way;
4. Further acknowledges that respecting the role of the media and protecting journalists from harassment and intimidation, is non-negotiable;
5. Asserts that the media is essential to democracy, and a democratic election is impossible without the media;
6. Further asserts that a free and fair election is not only about the freedom to vote but also about a participatory process where voters have adequate information about parties, policies and candidates which is provided by the media;
7. Finally calls on SANEF to ensure equitable coverage for all political parties during the 2016 local government election process, so that voters are able to make informed choices.
I so move.